Thursday, August 29, 2019

Tuesday, August 27th,2019 Day 49 A very HOT tour of Amsterdam with Silver

Today, I decided that even though it was going to be hot, Silver and I would go to Amsterdam and check out where we would have to go to meet the barge on Saturday. It is about 24 km one way and with a little cycling in the city I would get a good 55km. day on her. We left after morning tea and coffee time. I made a raisin bun to take for my lunch. I brought the pump and only one bag with tire changing supplies.


During the first week of school, the students have lots of outdoor games to get acquainted with each other. As I passed Amsterdam Hogeschool, the yard was full of students enjoying many water games.

There is a sports complex as part of the school.

I passed the place where I had my rear flat tire the night I got off the train at Amsterdam Central Station.


I knew that the dock for the barges was to the right of the train station and near Nemo Science Centre so I cycled in that direction and had no trouble finding Nemo and their ad for a bicycle display. I would like to go and see that sometime but today I do not want to leave my bicycle for long.
I found Oosterdok 2 and 3 right after that.
There were a few barges there today but the one we would be on would be in use until Saturday when we could go on it in the afternoon.


I asked someone to take my photo on the bridge back to Central Station. I had to pee so I found a Starbucks that had a tree to tie Silver to and I went in and bought a drink and cookie and with your receipt you get the number to go into the bathroom. I did it all in a hurry because in Amsterdam bicycles get easily stolen.

In the afternoon  I bicycled up and down the streets and side streets. It was so hot I had to stop  once more on a side street to buy another cold drink. I just wheeled Silver right into the store.


The Amsterdam Central Station

Selfie

The Dam Square and the Palace


Madame Toussand building

Narrow streets

Kerk

Narrow street

Stroopwafels...

...and more

I bicycled in and out and every which way.

By a canal

Bicycles, water, boats and tall buildings and a clear unclouded sky


Selfie
At about 3:30 pm. I decided that it was too hot to stay and after a wrong direction start I finally reconnected with my route and started the hour plus ride back to Dick's. On the way home I saw this "I Amsterdam" sign with nobody near it and tried to take some photos.



In the evening Daniel and his former girl friend, Monique came by to change and go play with surf boards in the lake. Carla went with Sepp who they put on the board for a few times. Dick went for a walk with Victor. I should have changed quickly and gone swimming but I didn't move fast enough so I stayed behind to watch the house.  


I went for a walk later and watched the sun set.




I went to bed early at 10 pm because I had intentions of taking the bus to meet Josephine at the airport tomorrow morning for 7:30 arrival.




No comments:

Post a Comment