Thursday, August 22, 2019

Rest day in Fredericia- vist to the West Coast

Susan went to work early and I got up at about 7 am.. Paul-Eric was going to be busy this morning with a man going with big equipment to fix the sewer pipe in their side yard as well as doing some landscaping. I was going to bicycle into Fredericia to the train station to buy a ticket. As I left with Silver and only one bag on her, the big truck was unloading the machines.


The bicycle ride was about half an hour and downhill. I parked and locked Silver against a tree in the area where all the bicycles were. But there  was no ticket office. It was just like in Copenhagen- a 7-11 store and they did not sell tickets to Amsterdam. I was told that you have to do it on line. From there I thought I would try to find a souvenir store to look for a decal for our ski box. I never did find the mall I was looking for but I found a street where you can only walk your bicycle and I talked to Enger and Leon who run a little shop. I found a decal  and paid and asked to use their washroom which they obliged. When I came out I looked at the postcards  to send one to Lucy Martin and Enger gave it to me as a gift. Thank you.

 Enger

 Enger and Leon

On the way back to the house, I stopped at Netto and bought some yogurt, cheese, nuts, and muffin and cinnamon roll for my train trip tomorrow. Paul-Eric said he would help me with the ticket later. I used the afternoon to clean and repack Silver so I wouldn't have to do much in the morning.

I had told them yesterday that I wanted to take them out for a thank you dinner so Susan had made a plan. She still wanted me to see the west coast of Denmark. So at about 3 pm we left in the car on the major highway with me sitting in the front to see the view. The ride took about an hour and the terrain started to get flatter.

While we were driving, Susan called the railway company and arranged my ticket. She made it seem so easy.

 We did see a hill at one point with lots of heather on it.

 Finally we drove through a small village that was pretty busy and we came to the sea on the west coast of Denmark. It is called Westerhavet (North Sea)

 The sand was fine and soft. The wind was blowing and there were some pretty big waves. It was beautiful. Paul-Eric and Susan sometimes come here for a whole weekend when they can use a friend's house to stay in.. Susan loves it here and today it was so nice for her after a work day to relax here.
 Looking north
 Looking south
 Waves
 Susan and I took off our shoes and played in the water. I was surprised how warm it was.
 Pretending to dive in- even if I had a bathing suit on I would stay close to shore because I think there is a strong undertow.

 Happy couple - also enjoying last day before Paul-Eric goes away in the morning and Susan to South Africa on Friday.

 With Paul-Eric

 With Susan
 Foam bubbles blowing in the wind.

 The dunes that we climbed to the top

 What a view!



 The town below the dunes

 Content

 Happy adventurer


 On the way out in the parking lot was one of the many bunkers the Germans made during the war. One agreement after the war that the Danish insisted on was that the Germans clean away all the land mines from the dunes.
We drove away through the village and on back roads and through little villages to our supper spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment