Monday, August 26, 2019

Monday, August 26th, 2019, Day 48- Visit with Tante Thea and Margot.

I did not sleep very well last night. I was awake from 3 am. to probably 5 am. All I remember is that during that time I remembered that I still have a little bag of things at Tante Betty's house. I know there are maps and the Garmin things. I woke up at about 8:30 am.  and left at 9:30 am. for my 19.2 km bicycle ride to Velserbroek. 

The first section of the ride took me through the Festival Grounds of this past weekends 2 day music festival. 
Big machines were taking down the different stages and areas used for presentations.



 Festival flags were still flying.
 Back of a windmill



 A very nice place

 The garage

The Ettingen
 It looks like it used to be bunkers and is now apartments

 Another back of a windmill

 Bunkers

 More bunkers

 Heron

 Houseboats



 After more than an hour I arrived at Galle Promenade 170 and rang the doorbell. Tante Thea came down. We hugged  and then brought Silver into the garage. I freshened up and then we enjoyed a couple cups of tea and a delicious Dutch cookie while catching up in Dutch on news. She told me how she enjoys her visits to her 92 year old sister in South Africa. She also has another elderly sister, 94, in Brabant. She still drives her car and walks every day and plays bridge. That is excellent for 88 years old. Margot was supposed to come in time for us to go for a walk at Beckestijn but that did not happen.  We got in the car to go to a restaurant.
 On the way we stopped at the house where Oma used to live and and I took a photo.

Also a selfie

The restaurant they chose was Grand Café Valerius. We sat outside because it was so warm. It was another 30 degree day.


 We each ordered a sandwich.
My sandwich was with meat and cheese and olives. We talked and talked. Margot talked about her new man, Gijs and their vacation to Sweden and Norway and about her daughters.Maiike is working and touring in Australia and Linde is playing rugby in Toulouse, France and Inge is soon to move in with a boyfriend, Bart. Margot is still teaching 3 days per week and Grade 5 level. Thank you Tante Thea for lunch and Margot for a nice time.



On the ride home there were children jumping into the canals from all the bridges because it was so hot.


This looked like a bunker turned into apartments.

No comments:

Post a Comment