Friday, August 16, 2019

Good bye Niels and Lillian and Plans Can Change Quickly

It rained during the night-a very soft steady rain. But in the morning it stopped so I packed up my things. The tent and bicycle cover were not wet but still a little damp.  Lillian made me breakfast and I said my goodbye and thank you to them. I think they enjoyed having someone stay over.  Lillian used to be a social worker for problem children in Roskilde and now sells plants by the roadside. Niels used to work on ship restoring in Ebeltoft. He has done lots of backpacking when he was young. They have one son, Tume, who came and fixed their printer.



The former pig and chicken and outdoor toilet building.


I started off without rain but knew it would come later. My plan was to take the ferry at Hundested and then bicycle 43 km down a small point of land to Odde to stay somewhere overnight and take a morning ferry to Ebeltoft. The first ferry ride took about 20 min. Then it was raining off and on after as I disembarked and headed west. I stopped in a little town by a real estate store for my lunch of yogurt, bread, cheese and an apple. There was a nice park across the street.













As I continued on, I saw lots of berry bushes and then water on both sides of me. I had made one mistake however. I had put the ferry terminal in my navigation instead of the town, Odde. So apparently I bicycled about 3 km past the town. When I arrived a ferry was about to go to Aarhus so instead of bicycling back in the rain  and trying to find a place to stay, I decided to take the ferry right now to Aarhus. It was a big change of my plan made with Kirstine. I sort of felt bad.












I had to wait with two motorcycles to get on and had a nice chat with two guys and gave my cards. I decided to buy a lunch on the ferry so I wouldn't have to worry about food later. I decided to sit by a window opposite a man who looked tired.
He was Søren and he was a worker returning home to Jutland from Sjælland which he does every week. I told him my story that I had no place arranged for the night. He told me about his girl friend's Air B&B but it was a little far to go in the rain. We had a great time talking and in the end he paid for my meal. How nice! Thank you Søren. I also looked up some hostel addresses. When we disembarked it was only a short ride to City Sleep Inn hostel where I got a room. I spent the evening working on my blog but Wifi was not good.

1 comment:

  1. Mary Ann,
    Thank you for the photo of Denmark hay. Mom said that it looks like Northern Michigan hay.

    Love in Christ,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete