Saturday, May 17, 2014

65. Europe Bicycle Trip--Spiegelman (Mirrorman ) in Lisse


I turned away from the dunes to go inland toward Hillegom and Lisse and immediately went through a wooded area.
Here the police were talking about something--thankfully not me!
For Caroline Pouw- a postal truck
I usually don't backtrack but there was a ancb office for maps in Lisse and I wanted to see if I could buy some of the maps that I do not have.
This car is the right size for the Netherlands.
The church and the centrum of the city
I asked this couple from Utrecht if they knew where the VVV was.
A week ago when I was riding to Alphen aan de rijn for the first time, it was raining and I was not sure of my route at one point so I stopped at a restaurant and a man approached me from the street and gave me help. It was Robert Spiegelman from New Hampshire and also Maine. He was in the Netherlands for one month and helps to lead visitors around on the bicycle paths.Since it was raining, I wasn't able to give him my card. Well lo and behold, he was in Lisse today and couldn't help notice Silver and I. He came over to say hello and we had our photo taken and exchanged cards.He then led me to the VVV store. He said that he was just in there and they call him "spiegel" (mirror) man bacause he wears a mirror on his glasses. He said I should go in and call myself "spiegel" woman.Ha ha!
Robert's folding bicycle-a Dahon
The VVV office did not have the maps that I needed.
On the way north to Hillegom, under a darkening sky, I passed right by the entrance to Keukenhof gardens where we had spent a lovely day earlier in our trip. The bus parking lot was still full.
But as these fields near there show, the tulips are almost done for this year.

1 comment: