Monday, May 19, 2014

69. Europe Bicycle Trip--Day 24--How My Father Met My Mother and Art As Therapy

On Saturday, May 10th, it was rainy and I stayed in and noticed a lot of art work  on the walls of To"s house today and asked her about it. This one in her hand is one that she did many years ago of the cupola of the seminary at Hageveld where my grandfather and my father and some of his brothers grew up and also worked. To related to me how my parents came to know each each. Her mother, Cornelia, who was my father's sister was married to Sjaac de Wijs and they hired one my mother's Heeremans sisters, my Tante To, to house clean for them. Because of that the Vander Prijt brothers found out about the four beautiful  Heeremans sisters. During the second World War the brothers used to walk through the war zone to visit the sisters. My grandmother Heeremans would let them move furniture out of a room so they could all visit and dance. The result was that my father fell in love with my mother and they were married.
To has a brother who suffered from a stroke and in his rehabilitation, it was suggested that he paint with his useful arm.
To's brother improved over the years
Church in the center of a small town
Romping Kitty
The milkman
To has her brother, Jan's son, Johan de Wijs living with her while he does practice teaching in the area. He would be my second cousin. He also works at a gas pump to make money. His parents live in Drachten, Friesland but his father is quite sick so I will not visit there when I pass through.
To has done this beautiful Dutch scene cross stitch.
She also cross stitched The Last Supper scene. I told her my father has number painted the same picture  when I was small. We were able to talk numerous times about some verses in the Bible. To worships at a Roman Catholic Church. She does volunteer work there dusting and polishing and giving out booklets. nHer husband was a house painter and died many years ago and she does not drive. Now at 81, she no longer rides her bicycle because she does not want to fall so various people pick her up at her house to go to the church.
To does not have a computer and she writes many letters and cards. Her grandchildren (see next blog) make these cards for her.
After the rain stopped, I went for a walk to the grocery store and along the way I met the local postmanJean RRugomboka, and had a chat took his photo for my postlady friend, Caroline.
His bicycle is loaded with mail.
This sign was by a bus stop on the way. Jesus chooses for you. Who do you choose for?
The rhododendrons are beautiful everywhere I go these days.
Sarah, this reminded me of the area in Ottawa where you used to live.
I returned from my walk to a nice supper made by To. WE enjoyed the evening and played Rumikub 3 times. She has a keen mind and managed to beat me in the last game. To, thank you so much for the lovely stay at your home.

Macaroni  casserole and salad
The canal at the end of the street

1 comment:

  1. Thank you To! I loved seeing all the paintings and the cross stitch, and learning how Grampa met Gramma!

    ReplyDelete