Tuesday, May 20, 2014

73. Europe Bicycle Trip--Haarlem to Akersloot--Happy Birthday Inge

After my eventful morning with my bicycle problem and a visit to cousin Frans, I continued north.
I passed by these old military bunkers.
In about 15 minutes< I arrived in Velserbroek and headed to Ome Frits and Tante Thea's apartment building.
The street going there was lined with these trimmed trees. I stayed for a nice lunch of strawberry sandwiches and left following Tante Thea's car. She was on her way to play bridge and would show me the way to Driehuis.
I passed by the Ijmuiden area sign.
I had to go up and down Waterloo Laan a couple of times but I finally found the house that my grandfather and grandmother used to live in and the other side of the house belonged to his brother. There was no one around to photograph me and nothing to prop the camera on, so Silver made the photo genuine that we were actually there.
The Tata Steel plant
I had to take a ferry across.
These ships were spraying a lot of water on their top decks but I don't know why.
Lots of windows in the roofs
Rondje Wijk aan Zee
I was headed again along the North Sea cycle route and would be going through the dunes for a while.
It's a good thing that this guy, who was a member of a bigger herd didn't hurt me.
Then I headed east and inland again past farmland.
I had an Uncle that we visited in Castricum in 1978. He owned a cigar store.
One black sheep amidst all the white ones!
To go to Amsterdam, Sarah and I took the train from Uitgeest .
I love taking windmill photos.
Close up
The bicycle path here was just two tracks.
Panorama
A new reed roof in progress
Bike Yellow!  Yellow Bike!
I arrived in Akersloot and Margot was still at work. I unloaded my front bags and then went to the shop to buy a birthday present for Inge. We would be celebrating tonight. When I came back and parked Silver, Zenna wanted a ride.
She looks pretty comfortable. i was afraid she would put holes in my sil nylon cover.
We had a lovely birthday meal and  both sisters and Ome Frits and Tante Thea all came to celebrate with Inge and Margot.Thank you for another wonderful time and another stay in Akersloot.

3 comments:

  1. LOL funny cat! Love your windmill pictures mom, the panoramic ones are so cool! You should try to get some a sunrise/sunset too if it ever works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, it must have been so cool to bike through all of the places we travelled just weeks before! Loved this blog. So many great memories for me!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice photo of Oma and Opa's house. I stayed there with brother John in 1969 when we went to Holland together. I also love the windmill photos. You are going to have so many nice memories. I'm jealous. I should have gone with you!!

    ReplyDelete