Sunday, May 11, 2014

57. Europe Bicycle Trip--Day 18-A Visit and A New Map from Abe and Wil Maaijen

After lunch, we headed in the car to Stolwijk and the tomtom brought us to the home of Abe and Wil (short for Wilhemina) Maaijen wood worker,who are the cousins of a good friend of mine, Caroline Pouw, who lives in Sault Ste. Marie. Caroline's parents were born in the Netherlands. Her father was a brother to Wil,s mother. Caroline has many relatives here and has given me their names and I have told her that I would try to look them up. We had a lovely visit that was longer than planned as Abe  said he could give me a better map that would include bicycle paths and knooppunten but it took a long time to load so we toured the yard and looked at his expert photographs. In the end we lost my original map, and left the GPS there. Abe would load the new program and bring the GPS to my Uncle in the morning. We returned to Gouda and I bicycled back to Gouda in record time and observed did not talk to anytone during the two minute silence at 8 pm. NOTE: The GPS map is GREAT with the roads and bicycle paths and knooppunten and has been invaluable since then. Thank you Abe and Wil for a lovely visit and for the new map.
Abe and Wil's house
Wil's handmade canoe--Caroline had told me that Abe had made his own canoe and taken her for a ride the last time she was here. Since I have also made a kayak myself so I understand all the work involved.I also showed him my photos.

Abe also made this table.
Abe's father made this musical hand organ , including all the papers with holes that produce the songs.
Wil's father did this fine wood work using fine saws.
A tour of the yard
They rent out this land for gardens.
Much conversation!
Their sheep just had lambs.
They have bees and therefore they have many flowering plants.
This is a kiwi vine that they get fruit from.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got a more useful map! It is so interesting to see glimpses of the homes and surrounding properties!

    ReplyDelete