Tuesday, May 20, 2014

71. Europe Bicycle Trip--Mother's Day Afternoon Visit with Cousin Ellen

,
This photo was taken 36 years ago in 1978 when I last visited with my cousin, Ellen, in blue, on the left of this photo.
I had promised to write but got very busy with having children and was sorry that I hadn't kept in touch. We are very close in age.
On Mother's Day afternoon, I was off in the rain on Silver, to visit my cousin Ellen. We also had a visit scheduled for yesterday but she got called to work so it was cancelled. Her father, Theodorus (Ome Doris), was a brother to my father, John. I always have thought that they look very much alike. I saw Ome Doris and his wife, Tante Gre and Ellen and her brother, Hans, back in 1978 when I was last in the Netherlands.
On the way, I passed BosBeek. Ellen works in BosBeek, a home for elderly nuns and persons.
The front gates
I also passed the cemetery where 4 of my father's 6 brothers are buried with their wives and some children. I stopped briefly and found a couple Van der Prijt gravesites. This is the grave of Ellen's father, my Ome Doris. To's husband is also buried here but I did not locate his grave.
This is the gravesite of my Ome Wim
My cousin Ellen, by the front door of her home in Heemestede.
Ellen's son, Sadyith, lives at home and works for a phone and electronic type place.
Her daughter, Malika, lives and works in Haarlem and came over by bus for the afternoon.
We had tea and a delicious piece of apple tart and whipped cream. We talked about the exact location of where my sister, Josephine lives in Munster, near Ottawa. Ellen had a map and it took her a long time to find it but she is like me and when she can't find something she looks and looks until it is found.
Ellen in her kitchen with a pretty tea cozy
The rain had stopped and we then went for a nice walk to the local grocery store to pick up some pizzas. On the way, we passed the flower store of our cousin Alphonse van der Prijt,one of Dick's brothers. Dick and his brother's help Ellen sometmes with household tasks that are difficult for her to do alone.
Ellen's daughter, Malka worked in the flower store for a while when she was younger.
After a nice pizza supper, we took many photos. Here is Ellen with her beautiful children.
Here I am again with a first and second cousin.
Handsome and beautiful brother and sister
Thank you Ellen and children for a lovely visit!

2 comments: