Wednesday, May 14, 2014

58. Europe Bicycle Trip--Day 19 -Bevriding Dag (Freedom Day)


Today is Monday, May 5 . It is called Bevriding Dag or Freedom Day to celebrate the liberation of the Netherlands after World War 2. I was going to be FREE today as Ome Jan and Tante Betty were busy . I planned a round trip to the Zoeterwoude area west of Alphen aan de Rijn. I hoped to visit 2 cousins of my friend Caroline Pouw. As I bicycled through Alphen aan de Rijn, I noticed a bank. It was open concept and not busy so I pulled my bicycle right in. I changed my money to smaller bills and asked why my credit cards, especially VISA are not working but she had no answer. She looked up the nearest location where I could put more time on the phone that I have from my cousin, Mariette. It was at the grocery store so I also bought some groceries. This truck toy was in the middle of the store.
Silver looks out of place everywhere I go.Sometimes people laugh at her which makes her sad.
s
A typical landscape photo
,
Along the way, I met Niko and we had a long conversation. I gave him my card and he said that if it wasn't for his wife, he would join me. In the 60's he hitch hiked in Canada and has bicycle toured extensively. Everyone likes the cards that were so generously made for me by Mary Jane and her dad.
At one point, these sisters helped me with directions and we talked for a while. It is a good t hing that I am never in a hurry.
Rose, who was out for a ride helped me find the address, 22 Westeinde Weg but alas when I knocked and talked to the man that answered, I found out that I was in the wrong little town and must go farther.
Everywhere there are baby animals. This colt had just finished drinking from it's mother.
I think there is a new baby at this address.
 I stopped to eat lunch at the bench outside a grocery store and a group of English bicyclists also stopped. I talked withFrank, Donald and Kevin (Klein-I told him that means small in Dutch.) They are here from Britain for 4 days and will go back on the ferry later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment