Tuesday, May 20, 2014

72. Europe Bicycle Trip--Day 26--First Mishap and a Visit with Cousin Frans

Today id Day 26, Monday, May 12th. It will be my longest ride to date.I plan to go from Heemestede to Akersloot which is over 50 km. I will make two stops on the way-one in Haarlem to visit my cousin Frans and one in Velserbroeke to have lunch with my Ome Frits and Tante Thea. HOWEVER, in the drizzly rain, I somehow had a difficult time leaving the area. Because of the rain, I didn't use the GPS and could not see the map well. After an hour I had done a complete circle. y hiking leader, Michael, would not be happy if he heard that. I found myself bicycling on narrow , bumpy paths by Hageveld. When I came out to a road, all of a sudden, the wheels wouldn't turn. I looked down and my whole right front pack had come off and was completely wound around my axle with the webbing and the hook. I said a quick prayer fro help. On the street, there was construction and in Dutch, I asked one of the workers if he could help. He tried but it wouldn't budge. He suggested we bring it two places down the street to a car garage so he pushed Silver and I held onto the bag. I was so afraid that a spoke would get broken. I also thought that we would have to cut through the webbing. At the garage, the friendly mechanic was able to back up the wheel a little and loosen the webbing. Then he was able to loosen it all and take it off. The hook for the bottom was completely out of shape and with two pliers he put it back to the original. shape. He also fixed my spacer problem and checked that everything was tight.
The garage folks would take no money. I thanked them and gave them my card and said a thank you prayer to God as I bicycled away. The rain had stopped and I didn't get lost again.
I arrived in Haarlem and found Fran's address.
This photo was taken in 1978 when we visited Frans. He was a student in his own little apartment and on his way to becoming a teacher. Left to right-Frans, Margot, myself (pregnant with Melissa), Ome Frits and Dave
1978-Frans, Margot and I
Frans house today-Frans mother, Leny,  was a sister to my mother, Mary
We had a cup of tea  and chatted . Frans taught English for 33 years and is now retired. He does volunteer work and stays close to home.
The living room
Goodbye cousin Frans and thank you for letting me visit.

3 comments:

  1. awesome pictures (loving the old inserts!) and so happy the garage could help you! Sounds like you are having fun! we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you got lost just so you'd be close to the garage when your mishap occurred!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are meeting so many of our relatives that I have never even heard of. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete