Sunday, September 24, 2023

The Farm

James from Trèbes dropped me off at the farm address of Thomas. Noone was at the house but I could hear a machine in the vineyard. I walked around taking photos of the house, the shed, the vineyard and the vegetable fields. Then after a while Thomas came around the corner and we hugged and said hello. He said they would be busy doing the grapes and it would be better for me to bicycle to the house  about 5 km away . He called Chloé to let her know I was coming. He went back to work. I packed the bags on Silver and headed into Maureilhan .



 House

Shed

Vineyard

Vineyard

Vegetable field

Fresh vegetables in the shed

Chloé sorting vegetables for Thursday orders and evening market
 
Every vegetable is sold by weight. They grow lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, beets, eggplant, celery, potatoes, beans, broccoli, squash, melon, herbs, onions and more. They also have 125 egg laying chickens.

People  come before the time to line up and be near the first of the line. Some bring their own bags and egg cartons.
Everything is very orderly although I noticed one woman grabbing another one's lettuce and gettting a comment from the first that it was hers.

By 7 pm most of the vegetables  were sold. I helped bring out and put away crates and I put eggs into smaller cartons.


I am sure these local neighbours are staying healthy from all the organic vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment