Monday, September 4, 2023

FUEL and La Rochelle- The city behind the towers

9
At 11 this morning I set off to the Decathlon store to find cooking fuel like mythol hydrate. I had called them yesterday but because no one knew how to speak English I never found out much. The store is about 15 min. away by bike but Google map is good. I had no luck there. I went down the street to Intersport and they directed me to this store next door. I found 3 different types of it and decided on Bioflame. I know that some kinds give off a black soot and I was hoping it wouldn't. I tried it in the afternoon in the little park behind the apartment building and it works pretty good. But since it is a one liter bottle I have to decide what to do with the rest after I fill my little bottle.


At about 6 pm I decided to go for a walk and went left from the apartment and over the bridge and toward the ferris wheel. I toured the part of the city behind the towers. It was FULLof tourists. I wandered up and down the streets until 8pm.

 
Memorial to those who died defendibg this city  during the wars


Statue of Admiral Duperné


Plaque


Looking from the city towards the two protecting towers

 

The cafés were CROWDED with people having their social drink time. I took several videos.


The Jolly Sailor pub

Busy, busy and busy on this beautiful warm Saturday evening of the last weekend before school starts

Tge Famous Pub


Everyone was looking at this statue and donating money in a box. I have seen something like it before in Europe. One or both of the people must be real. 


I had my picture taken beside them but I did not touch their hands. Shortly after other people moved closer to touch and  he moved his head and a few minutes after he decided to give up and threw down the lady part which was fake but with very good eyes and he stopped and packed up. He must have been very hot anyway.

A tunnel entrance




The wall between the towers

On the wall by tower of le Châines


Walking along the wall


             Going toward the other tower

The other tower

I came down from the wall and walked along some of the back streets.


Las fils de Mama

Les fils de Papa right next door

Looking down a side street


A little boy was taking his mother's photo. Then I asked her to take mine.

The church of Saint Saveur is under reconstruction of it's tower


Close up

I decided to have an ice cream

I miss my paddleboard


A bicycle securing place 

No comments:

Post a Comment