Monday, September 11, 2023

Christiane and Bernard in Belin Béliet

I arrived at about 3pm to see a sign at the road with my name on it. I knew I was at the right place. Then as I approached the house there was another sign tacked to the tree saying they were out at a meeting and to wait in the shade.
 
I parked Silver and thought I would walk around the outside of the house. I found this nice melon and pumpkin patch. 

At the back of the house there was a table and chairs and the part for the bicycles was open and I saw all these big tomotoes and zucchini.

And then to my surprise Christiane and Bernard greeted me. They were just about to leave so my timing was good and they were able to show me the bath room and my bedroom and I was able to properly introduce myself. They are both in their 70s and ride ebikes. Bernard used to be a physical education teacher for 11 to 14 year olds.

When they returned Christiane made a delicious vegetarian supper based on these huge tomatoes- the size that my Dave likes.

Santé! I learned a couple of days ago that when you say it and klink glasses you are to look into the person's eyes.

 

In the early evening they showed me all their photo books from cycle trips in France  and all their stamp books from different long distance walks like the Camino de Santiago. I was impressed! They have been a busy, active couple for many years.

They are a real inspiration to their children and grandchildren and others like myself.

So many stamps for each day of walking

The photo books were beautiful.

There were captions as well.


It was a pleasure to see how they enjoyed reliving the memories.

A reflection photo that they took

Their children and grandchildren
The granddaughter in the orange hat has bicycled from Nordkapp to here by herself at 15 years of age.

One of the children took art.

A bigger piece with the same theme. It reminded me of some ink drawings Emily did years ago.

They also brought out the book they used for the Garonne canal and Canal du Midi  when they cycled it.  I took photos of some of the pages. It could be  a help especially to find campgrounds
when I start it in a few days.


In the evening we watched France beat New Zealand in rugby. I enjoyed the fast action but need to learn the rules.




In the morning we had breakfast together. It is the second time in France that I have tea in a bowl.

Thank you Christiane and Bernard for an interesting evening. You are an inspiration May God bless you both.


No comments:

Post a Comment