Tuesday, September 12, 2023

OH NO KOMOOT AND GOOGLE MAP




I was so happy to arrive at 3pm to my destination .  It was hot and I had cycled in high gear all day. I use Komoot and had typed in Capberne Retjons and the postal code.
In France the back of the buildings face away from the roads so I walked Silver down the driveway and around to the front of the house. An elderly gentleman was snoozing outside in a chair. I said Bonjour and he was surprised to see me. I assumed he might be a friend and waiting for my arrival. I tried to explain in French that I was a friend of the owners and had permission to stay and rest for a few days. I said the name and location of the place. He was perplexed and decided to call his wife who was inside. They are both in their 80s. It was then that I realized something was amiss. They tried in French to tell me where to go. They even brought out a map book. At the same time I typed in the address in Google Map and saw the right place not far away. They kept telling me to turn right out of their driveway and Google did show a route that way. My initial inclination was to go back the way that I came. They offered me water but I figured I had just enough to bicycle on the roads to the right place so I declined. I had caused enough trouble. I took their photo and said goodbye . May God bless this couple. At the end of their driveway I noticed on their mailbox the word   Capbernet with a t added on.  So Komoot had erred although the region and postal code were correct.
      



 I turned right to follow the Google short cut. After a bit I had to turn right again.
I was hoping for a little back road but it was dirt. I looked at the map and saw white just a little farther away so I thought it wouldn't be for long and kept pushing Silver through the soft sandy soil looking for the join to the white section but that turned out to be also forest road. I was too far in that I wanted to turn back so I kept pushing Silver figuring I could walk it all. In the meantime it was 3:30 pm and 35 degrees and I started to get thirsty and use up my water. Eventually I came to a spot with many turnoffs and spent half an hour trying to get the right one with no luck. I thought that I sure did not want to spend the night out here with no water and although I carry a SPOT device I really did not want to use it but would if it came to evening time. I realized I was LOST. I saw a house far away out of my direction and decided to go there. Thankfully Jean Benard was outside working and I called out "Bonjour. Je besoin de vous m'aider. Je suis perdu !" or "hello I am in need of your help . I am lost." I was visibly shaken and sweating. While I calmed down and drank new cold water he called his wife on the phone.  Silver did not fit in his vehicle so for 5 km I rode at a fast pace behind his vehicle on sharp gravel that Silver's tires did not like. Finally we came to the paved road and looked at the map again and I saw the way.  I took Jean Bedard's picture and said he was my angel for today. 
      


So finally at 5pm, hot and physically fatigued I came to the right place , Capberné , and saw the Canadian flag on the big wine barrel.

      

      



 As I entered the driveway a car pulled in and Suzette the 74 year old neighbour met me to give me 6 eggs. I asked her to come and help me enter and walk through the house.

         


Lessons learned- 1. Insist on house number and street name and postal code for Komoot although it failed me once that way also. 2. accept water even if you think you won't need it 3. Backbush sandy paths can  look like roads on Google 4. Don't lose faith -With God nothing is impossible.
.
 

















No comments:

Post a Comment