Saturday, September 2, 2023

La Rochelle waterfront

         I had a GREAT breakfast this morning of crèpes and 2 fried eggs and yogurt  and grapes with a drink of chocolate milk. I worked on  travel plan and Warmshowers and Couchsurfing  requests.

In the afternoon I decided to look up a bank and sports store and small carrefour grocery store. I followed Google Map and it wasn't far from the apartment. I passsed the grocery store thinking I would do it later because there were some seedy characters hanging around the front.  I walked by the University of La Rochelle with it's strange building. The sports store was closed but the bank machine was open and I could take out 600 Euros so with what I took out yesterday at the grocery store it should be enough to last me until Hoofddorp. From the bank I meandered in the direction of the waterfront where I spent the rest of the afternoon.

University of La Rochelle

Sailboats in dry dock

Big anchor by the Maritime Museum

I have never seen so many watercraft in one place in my life. My friend, Ken McCulloch would love this!



Tide is out all the time when I am touring.

A waterfront restaurant

The upper level was very busy.

There are three different sections for parking boats.

They are all well protected from the ocean.

Small battery operated car

This is what is left after the tide goes out.



Port of La Rochelle input for this catamaran

Is this vessel used to raise money?

At the Maritime museum these posters were about Joshua Slocum being the first  solo sailor to go around the world



It was interesting. I have other photos of the posters for the whole story.

Huge buoy

Selfie

Looking back at the Maritime museun and it's colourful canopies

2 big ships which are part of the museum tour

Wooden sail boats along this dock

And more as I  walked in the shade along the building towards the bridge
 
The  railway station tower

The Tower of Saint Nicolas

View from the bridge

Selfie looking back

On the bridge looking forward toward the towers


  HUMAN

I  read about the Victoria coming into port yesterday.

You could pay to have a tour.

The Tower of Châines

Looking out to the ocean

       Modern art?


A saying of Premiere Pierre Crépeau

The door can be shut but it can also be open is the idea behind this sculpture.
.
Pointing to the Tower or Tour of Saint Nicolas

Explanation of Sculpture

The fortified gateway to the city

Close up

An old dry dock

Looking to the sea

This anchor is old and rusty and won't last forever. My anchor is Jesus who LIVES and is always   there for me if I trust and have faith in Him. As my card says "With God all things are possible" Matthew 19:26

The lighthouse

Storms of 1999 coming from Newfoundland and 2010 coming from the Bay of Biscay

I need to try one of these.

The big ferris wheel

The sea is our mother!

Crossing the bridge I can see the back of the apartment building.

The railway station and all the tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment