Friday, September 22, 2023

Carcassonne- UNESCO World Heritage Site


After I left Odile the path remained gravel where you only had a small section in the middle with less stones. It was kind of like riding and balancing on a plank of wood. 
I stopped to adjust something when we finally came to a road to follow for a while and this group of riders from Ireland stopped and said they also didn't like the gravel. They are doing the Canal Midi from Toulouse to Seté. I told them it is gravel most of the way. I said Silver and I enjoyed  the section before Toulouse better.

 
Grapes- the next few days will have many vineyards.

I don't know what this is.

Arriving in Carcassonne - a Medieval town . I arrived on a road for a few kilometers. I should have researched better what there was to see here. Cousin Dick said jokingly that I must visit  Carcassonne or he will not let me back to stay at his house when I am done.

Service building for the city

Defense base

Streets lined with Plane trees
Napoleon planted them so his troops could have shade when they marched.

I was happy to find this old wall.

I followed it around part of two streets. These walls were built by King Louis IX in 1500s and stretched for 3 km around what is now Le Cité.

Typical narrow streets with towering houses


Dating back to 1694

Church

A center square lined with more Plane trees

Approaching a statue 


Live free or die

A passerby took my photo.

Looking through at a busy street

My photographer got her finger in and I didn't catch it because I usually check the photo and give them the okay if it is good.

More of the old wall that used to surround the original town
 


Le Dõme sign

Le Dõme

The old bridge crossing the Aude

Nice view

Chapel- Notre Dame de la Santé

Sign inside

Inside the chapel music was playing
                         
Building across from chapel....

....had a statue on the front.

Center of the bridge

Togetherness- My bicycle and I

Château Comtal in the distance It was built by Louis IX   The walls were built in 1300ss.



Wall art


I biked up a big hill in hopes of capturing more of the Château. I parked Silver down a little and across the street so I could keep an eye on her.

A tourist train went by as I headed up the stairs.

Some of the many towers of the Château.

Selfie


            I asked a lady coming up the stairs if she would take a photo after she caught her breath.


I bicycled down the hill and had to go to the bathroom so I thought I would order a drink at a small café. But then I decided to pamper myself and order a crépe also. It was good. So I still wanted to find the cathedral because that would please Dick so I went UP the hill AGAIN. But google map only led me to a back part of the Château so I gave up and decided to leave. That was a good decision because I had a lot of hills to Trèbes two of which I had to get off and push Silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment