Monday, September 11, 2023

From Christiane and Benard in Belin Béliet to Capberné in Retjons

 

I had a good sleep until about 6 am. These houses in France with their wooden shutters are totally dark at night and it is impossible to tell when morning light comes. It is a good thing that we have a body clock or if needed a clock alarm.   

I said goodbye and thank you to Christiane and Bernard and headed to the grocery store for opening time. I had 71 km to do today but I needed food for the next three days . Silver had a heavy load to carry.

I had a bicycle path for the first while but then for the rest of the day I was on back country roads that were almost empty of traffic. Most of the day I could use my high gear so I was pleased with my speed.  I started going past big sections of land that have had all the trees destroyed by last (2022) summers devastating forest fires.

In all directions there were no trees left.







      I am totally impressed by how they have cleaned up after the fires.

There are many signs like this and it is very dry here again this summer.

      An interesting well- protected place in the countryside


A Saturday bicycle training group went by quickly while I was stopping to rest and stretch.


I stopped for lunch in the centre of a small village called Sore because my toes were SORE and the shade by the church looked inviting.

Monument for fallen soldiers


Local boys who died serving their country in war

Glass book library

Fall ivy covered building

In the town of Lencouacq I knew I was close to my destination  and I was pleased  with my progress because it was about 3pm  so I took some photos.

Place Corps Franc Pommies

The building

The church in Lencouacq

My destination  or so I thought !


No comments:

Post a Comment