Friday, August 25, 2023

Bicycling to Saumur

I had a little bit of time to myself after Marion left with Solène. I wanted to leave before it got too hot. I had trouble with locking the door so I went next door and the barking of the dog alerted him to my presence at the gate. I could tell him in bits of French about my problem. He showed me that I had to lift the handle and then turn the key. Okay now I know.


 There are these funny looking nest type things everywhere in the trees.

I stopped at Saint Maurice church in the morning and had a look. It was pretty safe to leave Silver outside.
.
Main aisle

Tomb of Saint Martin



All the villages have narrow streets.
 

The small village of Montsoreau


The Château of Montsoreau

I took a tour of 11 Euros and was disappointed.
All I saw were empty rooms with big fireplaces and modern art and some photos with mathematical equations. The only good thing was it was cool.


A model of the Château

I stopped for lunch at a little park and Cifer came over to talk to me.

Then later Lotta and her little family from Netherlands sat on the grass by my table.

I had passed many wine places in the morning in the Chinon area .

They were all quiet because it was too early for tours.

But now in the tremendous heat of the afternoon, I decided to go in this one.

This beautiful young girl whose name escapes me now gave me an explanation of the regions along the Loire that produce different wines due to the different soils and weathers.

She asked if I wanted to do tasting but it requires three wines and she thought that would not be good when riding a bicycle. I went out but then back in to take her photo. I gave her my card and she said she was also a believer in God. We hugged and said goodbye.


I found this little shady spot for some afternoon relief from going through the sunny fields of vineyards. 

The grapes are ripe and ready. I ate some but was cautioned later by Elisabeth about the chemical sprays that they use.
A
A special 400 km area of dwellings carved into the limestone cliffs.

It was fascinating to see.


I didn't take a tour but it probably would have been cool. 






A big spider was put on this wall for decoration.

Just outside Saumur I met Danielle and her husband Jean from Italy. We met twice during a stretch of cycling. 

We liked each other immediately. She is friendly and outgoing!

The views along here were spectacular.

The Château of Saumur which I decided not to tour as it was later in the afternoon and my first tour of the day dudn't impress me.

I went to find my Couchsurfing host for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment