Wednesday, August 16, 2023

A Former Leper Colony- Arnaud and Marie

 I had a nice ride for today also. I was headed to Saint Yon area.

First snack break brought me to a little park off a street of a quiet little town. I had been through some drizzle so I put out my raingear to dry.

When I arrived close to my destination I was early so I stopped at a bus shelterto have my lunch and do a little work on blog. I saw this small sign stuck on window. Jesus gave His life for you.
An old mansion
I arrived at a walled in area with the sign Le Madeleine

The door and gate were shut and the neighbouring dog was barking like crazy. Finally I saw a little chain and when I pulled a bell rang.

Arnaud, my Warmshower host greeted me. He introduced me to his family and said this place where they live used to be a leper colony many years ago.


He took me for a tour in the giant garden area and I met Marie, a lawyer, harvesting tomatoes.

They have 2 beautiful daughters, Jeanne about 8 and Louisa about 6. Both girls love the outdoors and have been on bicycle tour trips since they were infants.

There are fruit trees of all kinds and fruit bushes.
There are vegetables and strawberries.


Today, the beans were ready also.

The garden is completely walled in and like a little paradise.

A shed at the corner for tools or drying plants

They live in this house on the right of the courtyard.
Arnaud's brother lives on the left and I stayed in an upper room behind the center bush in the photo. Everything else is storage area.
                 

       Arnaud and Marie have just returned from a circular bicycle trip in Denmark. Little Jeanne rode her own bicycle on this trip for the first time. Way to go!
         

We enjoyed a nice lunch together
Then they took me for a tour of Saint Sulpice church.


It is located in the center of the village.

At the entrance way was a book exchange where we all looked for what might interest us.

A short reading time for Louisa

Main aisle

Pulpit


Stations of the cross
 

Dome ceiling
 
Confessional

Arnaud's mother , Josiane, who lives just down the road
Catching the escaped chickens
 
Cat in a Wheelbarrow
 

Over a delicious supper we talked about all the small miracles that happened during their Argentina and Chili bicycle trip in 2019.

Plum flan for dessert

Fruit sticks made by the girls.

In the evening we looked at their beautiful photo book memories of their trip. They would have made it to the Canada part of that trip if it hadn't been for Covid 19 interference. As it was they were happy to get back to France and were stopped by police several times as they cycled home from the airport.

Goodbye Josiane and God bless you.

A very big thank you from my heart for meeting and being hosted by this lovely family. May you enjoy many more bicycle trips together. May God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment