Saturday, July 20, 2019

Warmshowers 2- Rob and Marri iin Emmen- The Plum Tree Falls

I arrived in Emmen at about 4:30. I could have been almost an hour earlier if I hadn't needed to stop at Xander's restaurant to charge up a bit. Now I know to keep mobile data off unless I need it. No one was home so I talked to the neighbour, Jennette for a while about their work in their backyard and what she uses for her diabetes.   Rob came home shortly after and we put Silver in the garage  and  I unpacked. He made a nice cup of tea and we sat in the backyard by their beautiful, fully laden plum tree. In a little while, Marri came home and joined us. Marri was born in 1947 just like me and on Dec. 19 just 6 days earlier. Rob is 63. Rob has done much long cycling with his brother. They both have hosted many cyclists. While we were talking we started to hear a sound from the tree and thought it was birds going after the fruit. But then there were cracking sounds and upon looking closely we saw that there was a crack in the trunk that was opening up. Rob went next door to borrow some of their lumber for a new fence to use to support the branches but it was all too short. Suddenly one part fell down over the back neighbour's fence. I thought another was coming down our way so I started moving the tea bench and chairs and sure enough down it came also. I felt so bad for them . Their daughter had planted the tree and they had enjoyed not only it's fruit but also it's shade.



 It took awhile to calm down after all the activity and Marri showed me my room and while I had a shower, she prepared supper. Their son, Johan, who teaches English in China, joined us. He was just back from a trip to Sicily and next week will hike in the Tirol with a friend. Marri prepared vegetable soup, sausages,little potatoes, carrots and beans with yogurt and fruit for supper. I am certainly eating well everywhere. We spent the evening in interesting conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment