Monday, July 29, 2019

Touring Flensburg with my Couchsurfing host

As I said previously, my Couchsurfing host, wants to stay anonymous so I will not post any photos of him. We decided to walk in the centrum, have a fish sandwich and then take a boat across the fjord, around two islands and then get off on the other side, maybe swim, hike a ways and have supper and then walk or take the bus back. I was up for some walking and the boat ride but I had pedaled a lot of hills today. On the way down the street, he pointed out that Flensburg had been part of Germany and then Denmark several times. On some streets, one side was for ship captains and the other side for plain sailors so one side is quite ornate compared to the other. Cars are not allowed on these streets. We had extra time so we went into one store to do rum tasting. The rum is made by a local man blending different tastes together. Then we went  to the water and he met a friend who let us into the line to buy fish sandwiches. We each had half of them. They were very drippy and my pants got all dirty. We got on the boat and had a nice ride with lots of tourists. The ones beside us were from  Poland. It is strange to hear so many people talking in different languages. On the other side we walked for quite a while, passing quite a few nude sunbathers. We looked at the water at the dock for swimming but decided there were too many of the little stinging jelly fish. That was good because I think I would have had to change right there in the open. We headed to the restaurant. They were quite slow and got my pizza order wrong. It came with beef on it instead of bacon and ham. He complained and got us 2 free drinks. When we got to the road, the bus wasn't coming there any more so we had to walk a long way to catch another one. Well, I was very tired that night and slept good on his couch.

























No comments:

Post a Comment