Saturday, July 20, 2019

July 19th, 2019, 9th day of stay, 105 km to Emmen

I left early at 8: 30 with a big thank you hug to Annelies for a great visit. I had to cycle 105 km. So that would be my farthest this year. That is the closest that I was invited to stay using Warmshowers. I was not going to take as many photos. Most of the scenery was farmlands with cows, horses and sheep and at one place I saw 2 kangaroos. The weather was ideal for cycling and I was able to stay around 18 km per hour. At my first break, I went up a tiny embankment to pee behind a tree and on the way down my feet slid from under me and I fell on my behind getting a cut on my underarm. It did not bleed then. Later I met Holtkuile who was babysitting Thigs and Bas and had a chat. I cannot post their photo but it was nice and I gave my cards. I passed Hellendoorn where there was a big amusement park. I saw a sign for the start and finish of some kind of race or ride. Wim, smoking a big cigar stopped me and told of his cycling trip to St. Petersburg. A lot of the ride was beside a canal which was cooling in a way. I had lunch at a bar type place where I ate my packed sandwich but bought a lemonade drink.  Finally I entered the province of Drenthe. I had to stop by a cafe from where many cyclists were leaving  to charge my phone because even the charger was not helping. I later learned from Xander, the owner that I should turn off my mobile data because it was searching Netherlands and Germany because we are near the border I promised Xander I would advertise him. I left and made it to Emmen by 4:30 to find no one home at my Warmshowers host, Rob. However I got into a discussion with the neighbour , Jennette, about diabetes and the pump she uses on her arm for it.





























No comments:

Post a Comment