Sunday, July 21, 2019

July 20th, 2019 , 10th day of trip, 18 km to Ter Apel

I was awake early and did some work on the blog. Rob, Marri and I enjoyed a nice breakfast and because it was supposed to rain today, I wanted to leave and get to Ter Apel dry. We said goodbye and I thanked them and was off. It  only took an hour and 15 minutes to bicycle the 18km. to get to Ter Apel.


The view  of Ter Apel was familiar from 5 years ago. When I reached Berkenstein, Mariette's house, no one was home. I decided to check my email because I had sent her an email last night. There was an answer from her saying she was bringing her daughter and friends to Dusseldorf airport and would return around 3 o'clock. I had come early to beat the rain so first I looked for protection from the rain. The next door neighbour had a carport. I knocked there but no answer. Then I cycled back 4 houses to the main street to look for a restaurant or coffee shop. Right there at the corner was a place. I went in to ask if I could wait there and I would order lunch later. Eventually when it started to rain, I could move my bicycle to the back under a part of the roof to stay dry. Luckily they had Wifi and I made good use of the time. For lunch, I ordered a chicken burger and a frikendal and a milkshake. At 3:30 , I returned and found Mariette, Martijn and their son, Willem, at home. Willem is now a tall, muscular, handsome, young man instead of the boy from 5 years ago.  A big hello hug and I helped with the strawberries for supper. We had a heated bun with chicken and peas and yogurt and strawberries for dessert. We watched the news, and Tour de France results and headed for bed at 11 o'clock.






No comments:

Post a Comment