Wednesday, July 30, 2014

171. Europe Bicycle Trip--Waldemar from Kazahkstan and Kubb


Finally after77.75 km. I came to Oppenheim, where my map showed a campground.
First I stopped at a grocery store to buy some food and then I went by the big Katharinnen Kirche, built in 1258 and one of the most importqnt Gothic churches on the Rhine between Strasbourg and Cologne.
I had to cross Highway 9 and cycle first through a residential area and then down a bush lined road to find Camping Club Oppenheim.
The caravan section was off limits and there was only one other tent set up in this area by the restaurant. Wolfgang and his wife are tenting for a few days to celebrate an anniversary. I was able to borrow a hammer from them for pounding in my pegs. The grass was uncut and the showers were locked in the public park part but I couldn't be choosy as there were no other campgrounds around.
It was quite windy so I set up my little tent behind the fence with the trees along the Rhine as a windbreak.
While I was setting up, Waldemar Stab from Florsheim am main but originally  from Kazahkstan started a conversation with me as he passed by during a walk. He is in the area for work. He deals with electrical machines. He really enjoys being out in enjoys nature. He has just had a baby boy that is 3 months old.
During the evening, I watched some ladies and children playing the Swedish game called Kubb that I have at home and that I also saw in Heidelberg along the Neckar. It is a game played with wooden sticks and pegs and involves throwing them to knock others down. Many barges were going past us along the Rhine River.
The shore here was all little stones.
The barges were all staying over near the other shore in the deeper water.

No comments:

Post a Comment