Thursday, July 10, 2014

144. Europe Bicycle Trip--Christian and Sharon and Millie and Thomas


Later in the day there were other country changes between Switzerland and Germany but the  former customs stops  were all closed.
Christian and Sharon were the first tourers that actually stopped and took the time to talk to me. They live in Northern Germany and started in January and cycled Spain and the Mediterranean. Now they are going south to the mountains and the actual source of the Rhine. They told me that cycling the Moselle River was a nice trip to think about doing in the future.
I continued on from Hohentengen a Hochrh. to Lienheim to Reckingen to Rheinheim to Kussaberg and Ettikon and on to the opposite side of the river of Koblenz.
Children playing here
Rows of roses
Nice views of towns built on the shores of the Rhine
Lots of swans swim along the shoreline.
Koblenz in the distance
Crossing the Wereldkanal just before Albbruck
Selfie on the bridge
It was a long, hot day and I was running low on water so when I saw this lady working in her garden, I asked for water.. She obliged willingly. I drank 3 whole bottles today and cycled 95 km.
Approaching Laufenburg (Baden)
The swimming pool was busy.
This was the way to the centrum.
A little rest on a long day
The train coming out of the tunnel
In Bad Sackiingen, I thought that I had to go through this covered bridge but when I got to the other side there were no bicycle signs and I had to return again.
Finally after a long ,hot day of 95 km ,I came to the campground marked on my map. It had only a few campers and i found out that it was really a private campground for a boating club.
The Boat Club Brennet Campground
Millie who stays in her camper at the campground greeted me and showed me the facilities and after I got set up she offered me a cup of tea. Millie and her husband, Thomas live over the river in Switzerland but come with their boat to this campground in Germany.Millie is originally from England which you can hear when she speaks. She went to a carnival in Basel one year and that is where she met Thomas who is Swiss. She is a breast cancer survivor and finds it very peaceful here. She can speak English, Swiss and German , has traveled a lot and used to work for Commodore Computers. Thomas works in the computer department for a bank.
At sunset, Millie and I  went for a walk along the Rhine.
This is their boat, "Lady Jane". We stopped at a spot by some stairs and I asked Millie if she would take my picture but as I went to step down I missed the step and slipped and fell scraping my shoulder and hurting my toe. Ouch!

Millie is very funny and lighthearthed. Notice her bicycle helmet to pour tea.We had a lengthy conversation about life and death and what happens after death and the importance of being ready spiritually. She invited me to stay for supper with them.
Thank you Millie for being so hospitable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment