Sunday, July 20, 2014

154. Europe Bicycle trip--New STICKY Rim Tape

Art on the wall
The barges are staying away from the rapids on this side of the Rhine.
It is another very hot day and everyone is trying to stay cool.
After cycling through Sonderheim, I came to Germersheim and looked for a bicycle store.
The outside doesn't look like a bicycle store but it is. It is called Haasies Radschlag and is owned by Wolfgang Lange. When I arrived it was still closed and I waited for a half hour in the shade on the other side of the street.
When it opened, I was asked to go around to the back and there were a ton of bicycles of various kinds. They were working on the brakes of a recumbent three wheeler for an elderly woman.
I had to unload all the back bags from Silver and then I waited patiently in the heat.
This is the biggest scooter that I have ever seen.
This is my bicycle mechanic(sorry but I forgot your name) who speaks very good English. He took the wheel apart and took off my loose rim tape and carefully applied new STICKY tape and made sure that it covered every spoke well. Then he helped me to load Silver again. I paid the bill of 18.30 Euros, said goodbye and was off after being there from 2:30 to 4:30.
Five folding English Brompton bicycles.
I crossed the Rudof-von-Habsburg Bruckle or bridge and headed to the nearest campground shown on my route card.
The church in Rhinesheim
A memorial to all those that died in the wars from 1914-1918 and 1939 - 1945.
After 73.48 km of cycling today and a stop at the bicycle store, i arrived at the campground "Campingplatz Freyersee" in Phillipsburg.
I was given a spot in the open sun in the lot of a caravan for 11.5 Euros. I had no internet . My phone wasn't working in Germany so the man in charge was nice enough to call the number of Dorle Smith in Edingen and I was able to tell her that Lord-willing, I would arrive at her house tomorrow. Then I wrote my journal, listened to some music and went to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment