Sunday, July 13, 2014

147. Europe Bicycle Trip---3 Countries, Water Crossing, Fire , Gravel and a Rotten Apple

Every day is full of adventure and excitement. Today was no exception!
Strawberry pickers
Construction that I had to walk Silver through
An evangelical church
A little harbour
The church steeples always add to a photo.
An older structure
Panorama
The Shoreline across from Basel
I thought that it was dangerous to park a baby buggy that close to a steep drop.
This couple gave me directions but also told me that I was very close to the Three Countries Landmark and I should go to see it. 
That pointed gray structure to the right of the boat is the Three Countries Monument. I had to go back toward the river, over some railroad tracks and down a wharf.
Some boys that were there took my photo. I am standing at the point where Germany, Switzerland and France meet. This side shows the France and Swiss flags.
This side is Switzerland and Germany.
This side is Germany and France.
I had lunch on a bench by the river where I had just passed a dam in the river. The path here was gravel.
The path deteriorated later and I had to walk Silver through this big water crossing. I wondered if I had missed a turn somewhere.
Since it was so hot , many people were cooling off in the low areas.
Time to call my forest fire fighting daughter, Emily. No one was doing anything about this grass fire.
I wasn't happy with the condition of the path if it was even the path that I was supposed to be on which I began to doubt.

Erosion
Gravel, gravel and more gravel--Finally I came to a dead end and had to backtrack which is definitely against my motto "Onward and Forward".
I crossed the main highway and found qa dirt road leading to a small farm.
I tried to call the farmer over but he was too busy working.
Finally I found a paved road that led to a small town. I met a group of men out on a bicycle ride and they led me to a grocery store and told me the road to take to arrive at Steinenstadt where there was a campground.
I was HOT and TIRED when I arrived after cycling 83.3 km..
The office and home of the owners. The charge was 10 Euros for a place on the grass.
The campground was full of caravans.
I used one of the office chairs to tie the front of the tent open.
Later I met Lukas and his father who are on a short bicycle trip together. Lukas has lots of energy and in the evening they went to check out another campground in the area but they reported back that ours was more quiet and nicer.
When I went to eat the apple that I had in my food bag , I found out that the outside inch was fine but the whole inside had turned to applesauce. Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment