Thursday, July 31, 2014

172. Europe Bicycle Trip--Vineyards Everywhere!

I didn't sleep much last night because the dog that belonged to Wolfgang and his wife who were in a tent close by keep barking every time I rolled over on my mattress. I was glad to leave Camping Club Oppenheim on Tuesday, June 17th, Day 62 of my trip. This campground gets a 3 out of 10 rating from me -locked showers, uncut grass, barking dogs. The only nice aspect was the view of the Rhine.
Soon I came to Niersten which has some of the oldest vineyards in the area. The sign also advertises their wine festivalon July 20th.
Approaching the town of Niersten.
This interesting display was on one of the houses.
I also cycled through Nackenheim, Bodenheim and Laubenheim--all small villages surrounded by vineyards.
It is unbelievable how the grapevines are grown right up to the top of the hills.
Panorama
Some areas had new grapevines that had been planted this year. It has been very hot and the soil is quite dry.
The paved bicycle and walking path went right through the vineyard land.
It looks a little like a graveyard but in actuality there is newness here.
For a while I was back by the side of the Rhine on gravel. Then I slow down a lot!
Going past a factory on the outskirts of Mainz
The towers of an historic train bridge south of Mainz
Going under the train bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment