Thursday, July 17, 2014

148. Europe Bicycle Trip--A Castle, A Flat Tire, Firemen and Swans

Today is Day 53. It is Sunday, June 8 and I am leaving Steinenstadt and heading north along the Rhine River again. It is a beautiful day with a clear sky and since I ran into some rough paths yesterday, I have decided to follow some back roads "yellow" on the map instead of the Rhineradweg for bicycles. There is a bicycle path by the fields alongside the main road and I am going from village to village for the morning.
The crops are growing but the land is very dry. The hills are in the distance and my route is nice and flat.
Raspberries across the road.
Crossing over the busy and noisy autobahn near Neuenburg am Rhein.. I'm glad that I'm not cycling there.
Many cabbages !!
They are still quite small. Notice all the little stones in the soil.
I am back along a channel of the Rhine and these rowers were getting ready to work out. They belong to Segel Club Nautic Breisach.
One of many dams
A barge tour boat
A castle in Briesach
The poppies are everywhere.
After seeing the castle and taking a photo of the poppies that always remind me of the fallen soldiers of the war, I rounded a corner by a caravan campground by the river and all of a sudden I heard a gentle hissing sound. I looked down and saw that my back tire waqs flat. I looked up in disgust and noticed a couple by their caravan with their bicycles. Jurgen and Barbara were just getting ready to go for a bicycle ride. They saw the look on my face and offered to help me. Thank you Lord for such immediately available angels.
While Barbara held the bicycle, Jurgen and I proceeded to change the tire. Jurgen noticed that the puncture was on the inside from the spokes because the rim tape had moved. We tried to tape the rim tape in place and in a short time, I was on my way again being even more careful not to go over any bumps. Thank you so much for taki8ng the time to help me, Jurgen and Barbara.
I was back along the Rhineradweg which was fine crushed stones here. I passed mile marker 232 which is our address at home in Sault Ste. Marie on Anna  Street
Some swans along the shore go up and down with the waves made by the big boats.
Another dam
These firefighters that were having a break provided me with directions at a turn inland along the path.
The water is dotted with great numbers of white swans. I have never seen so many. It is getting very warm as the day goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment