Wednesday, July 9, 2014

142. Europe Bicycle Trip---Rheinfall or Rhine Falls


The Rheinfall or Rhine Falls is the largest plain waterfall in Europe.They are located along the High Rhine between Neuhausen and Schafffhausen in Northern Switzerland. In winter they are 150 m. wide and 23 m. high. The falls cannot be climbed by fish. Only eels can worm their way up the rocks.
My first view from the bicycle path was blocked by fencing.


I made my way to Ruine Neuburg (castle) overlooking the falls but it was early morning and I couldn't go everywhere to get the best viewing spot. The museum and restaurant were still closed.
The entrance arch to the castle.
One of the towers
Inside the arch and moving toward the museum
The stone wall overlooking the river
The museum
The restaurant
Old paintings on the wall depicting the falls and the castle. This must have been during high water season.
Another painting
Two other cyclists came as I was leaving.
Art

No comments:

Post a Comment