Thursday, July 17, 2014

149. Europe Bicycle Trip---SNOW in Germany!! France-Here I Come

In the afternoon, there was a turn away from the river and I met Andre Gleisner and his father, Helmut. Andre has a GPS as well as his maps and so I asked if I could follow them for this detour. Andre works in computers for the Bayer company  Helmut is retired but drives a truck sometimes. They have a hotel booked in Strausbourg for tonight. That would be a very long day for me as I started very early this morning and have already gone a fair distance.

As we came around a bend in the road away from the river , we saw what looked like SNOW, all over the road. It was amazing to see on a hot day in June!!!. What it really was, was the fluffy seeds from the trees and bushes. No wonder people like the Kaulen family are sneezing and have runny noses all the time now.

It was a great photo opportunity and we pretended to make snow balls and look cold. It was lots of fun!!

The snow continued for quite a while. I followed Andre and Helmut for a number of hours. We stopped and had lunch with several other touring cyclists. I was too hot and tired to keep going on with them and after looking at the map, I decided to take a ferry over to France and look for the campground shown in Rhinau.

Silver and I both like the rest we get when we take the ferries. They are also quite cheap. We have lost count of how many ferry rides we have had so far.

There were quite a few cars on the ferry with us and some more cyclists.

The Rhine is pretty wide here.

This is my first time in France.

Rhinau-Ville Fleurie (The flowery town)

I stopped at one campground but they were full and sent me on to Camping du Reid.Camping du ReidReid is like a city of caravans on small lots. It even has an evacuation plan. It has a restaurant and swimming pool.

Since it was so hot, and I had cycled 83.30 km ,I decided to have a dip in the inside pool.

Cooling off

In many campgrounds, the internet reception is only by the office so I spent part of the evening here working on blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment