Sunday, June 1, 2014

98. Europe Bicycle Trip--Wrong Way, Bicycles Not Allowed


An interesting statue of a woman with her bicycle and some bags
Her name was Wemeltje Kruit. I think she lived in a wagon and went by bicycle during the day selling her wares in the town.She was born in 1887 and died in 1963 at age 76.
This is a nature park that I bicycled through. At one spot near the middle, i heard lots of noise and commotion and came out of the path onto the road to see an amusement park by the same name as the park.
One of the many rides
Princess Beatrix planted the first tree in this ark.
A very narrow path
We had Baloo and now Exloo
A sign to add to my sign folder--Be careful-road bumps--but they are much easier to ride over here. They taper up and then taper down.
A plan for the flat lands

My lunch break
The container for plastic bottles
After lunch, I continued bicycling and must have missed a point because I came to a T in the road and didn't see the sign. From my GPS, I knew trhat Ter Apel was about 4 km to my right. So I decided to bicycle in that direction BUT after about a hundred meters I had 2 cars honk at me and I could see people waving at me to get off. I decided to stop and go to the side before a police car came by. I had not seen the NO BICYCLES ALLOWED sign. NOW WHAT? There was a side road across the street but it was not the direction that I needed. I turned around in a circle and saw some bicycles in the distance and assumed there was a path there. I had to walk Silver carefully along the edge of the field ALL the way across. It must have taken at least a half hour or more.I was praying that there was no ditch on the other side.
An angry face selfie!
There was no ditch at the other end and soon I was on the path and crossing the bridge.
Interesting-new baby?
A little church for these parts
Another decoration for a wedding anniversary
Ter Apel on the west of the Netherlands in Groningen and very close to the German border
The entrance to the town is a long street along a canal with one row of houses on each side anf fields behind.
All the houses along here were the same and many were "Te Koop" (For Sale)

1 comment: