Sunday, June 1, 2014

99. Europe Bicycle Trip--Cousin Mariette and Her Family

I arrived in Ter Apel after 74 km of cycling. I have not seen my cousin, Mariette since 1978 when Dave and I came to the Netherlands with our daughter, Caroline. Mariette was 9 years old then and played so nice with Caroline. Now she is a beautiful young woman with a family!!
Mariette-1978
Left to right--Mariette, best friend, Els, Caroline, Kitty, Carola and Ome Jan
Left to right--Caroline, Pauline,Tante Thea, Mariette, Ome Frits and Frans
Mariette's house-over a 100 years old
In the Netherlands, most houses have names. The name of her house is Berkestein which comes from the types of trees growing on each side of the house.
I noticed the vehicle with animal photos on it and since her husband is a vet, I thought I had the right place. This was confirmed when Mariette came out of her car and across the yard to greet me warmly with a hug. She had just finished doing some groceries. What a beautiful young lady she is.
During my time at Mariette's house , we went for many long walks.
Willem, 12 was the first of the cildren that I met. He goes to a school two blocks from his house. He is in our equivalent of first year high school..Here in this photo, he is all ready to go to soccer practice.
Willem and I
Tessel is 15 and in our Grade 11. She plays volleyball. Zager is 17 and in his last year of high school. he had spent the day following the schedule of a lawyer to see if he would like to study for that next year. Both Tessel and Zager bicycle home from school for an hour.In the evening , it is very quiet as they are all busy on their computers.
Maarten is a veterinarian. His specialty is with cows.
Tungsten is the family dog. He gets lots of walks and is very afraid of thunder.
The side of the house. last year they added the dormer window to enlarge that room in the house.
In the other side yard, they have a trampoline. They are very popular in the Netherlands. UP,UP and away!
Still for a photo
A couple of years ago, they added this back deck area.
The kitchen--Mariette likes to cook and has many books by Jamie Oliver.
The living room
The formal dining room
My bed is in a room that will be devoted to a store room for items for Mariette's new internet antique business.
With 3 children, a large bathroom is necessary.
Mealtime now is in the sunroom by the back deck. -A lovely family--I must get the recipe for this dish that has noodles, radishes and watermelon and a herb dressing. it was delicious!
In the TV room, you can learn all about the cow!

1 comment: