Saturday, June 14, 2014

110. Europe Bicycle Trip--Klootsschieters On The Road

After the visit to the Canadian War cemetery in Holten, Ton and Liesbeth drove me back to their home near Dijkerhoek and we said goodbye. Thank you so much, Ton and Liesbeth and Maik and Tim for a lovely visit. God bless you all.  Now I was headed south along the bicycle paths to the Beltrum area where Ome Jan and Tante Betty had their caravan set up.
Down the road I went toward Dijkerhoek. It was a nice day for cycling.
Ton had told me not to miss the windmill there.
A celebration of 200 years
I passed flagpoles like this a few times.  Dancing around the Maypole! There was noone around to take my photo or I would have dance also.
A nice bridge crossing
Very green!
Cattle crossing
My first unusual Dutch mailbox
I am so aware now of all the poppies blooming everywhere. The first flower to bloom in the battlefields after all the bloodshed was the poppy.
I see more motor scooters than motorcycles. The scooters can go on the bicycle paths.
Bringing in the sheaves
Sometimes the bicycle path is better than the road.
A large group of people were doing Klootschietering down a dirt road. I videoed a young man doing it. One has to throw a certain ball as far as possible down a road. Then you pick it up and do it again and the goal must be to have the least number of throws for the distance.
This beautiful place was situated just after I came out of the woods but there was no name and I have yet to find out what or who lives there.
This is where Liesbeth works.
House? Restaurant?
High, calm water--I wish I had a boat.
Lunch time--cheese sandwich, raisin buns and an apple

No comments:

Post a Comment