Sunday, June 1, 2014

95. Europe Bicycle Trip--Different Kinds of Bicycle Paths

The Netherlands has an extensive bicycle path system. You can get anywhere by following these paths. They are  usually far away from auto traffic and very quiet. Sometimes they are cobblestone, or asphalt or small stones or dirt. You never know what you will see. Today there was quite a variety as I made my way from Drachten to Tynaarlo.
Lined with Mother Nature's flowers
At one point a number was hard to find and I met this older couple out for a ride.
Anyone want their ice skates sharpened?
I might have tried to see what this place of worship was like but it was too late in the day.
Overgrown with ivy
I usually have a strtch and drink break by one of the many benches that are spaced nicely along the paths.
Working on a canal
I arrived in Tynaarlo in the middle of the afternoon to see a note to call my hostess because it was a beautiful day and she was visiting a neighbour.
My hostess, Rebecca Baidal is off on leave from being an oncology nurse. 
The section of the house to the left will be my home for the night.
Rebecca's house was built in 1885. At first it was a butter factory The "boterfabriek" closed on dec. 24, 1912 shortly after steam was produced. Then it became a "slachterij" (a butcher shop) by a man from Friesland, another part of the Netherlands. But nobody liked him and it closed the next year. After that 5 or 6 families lived there. Then a mother and her son, Anne, bought it. The mother died but Anne, who had a club foot, did barber and shaving for people. Later he started feeding local boys and eventually it became a cafeteria. Anne had the first TV in the area and the first shower. He died in 2000 at the age of 88 and then, Rebecca, who was born in Oegstgeest bought the house and started renovating parts of  it.She likes the country living here.
My bedroom
A nice bouquet of nature's flowers greeted me in the room.
Although Rebecca offered to make supper for me, I decided to use some of my food and cook outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment