Wednesday, September 10, 2014

205. Europe Bicycle Trip--Maaseik and Kessenich (Kinrooi) , Belgium

It continued to be a beautiful day as I cycled on the dike along the Maas River.
This memorial is for 7 men of the De Sterling EE-873 of the 89 ste. squadron whose plane was shot down by the Germans on  July 13-14, 1943.
An orchard and a village in the distance inland.
Ducks feeding on the grain leftovers
These cows were walking out to pasture for the day.
The Dike road
It is unusual to see all the cows lying down.
Maaseik
Hubert and Jan Van Eyck were early Dutch painters (1400s) born in Maaseik.
A busy street in Maaseik
Kessenich in the municipality of Kinrooi was the last Belgium town before I crossed back in to the Netherlands.
De Spaanjerd--lots of sailing vessels
Finally-a decorative mailbox
Basisschool Bommesaar-primary school
Something to do with the war??
This small tower was in the middle of an intersection.
An old farmhouse complex
The farmhouse had a beautiful inner courtyard-so clean and neat!!
Football (soccer) fever is reigning also in Belgium as their record in the World Cup so far is also 3 wins and no losses.
The library------I was ready to head toward Thorn in the Netherlands. My few hours of cycling in Belgium had been a very good experience. If I was not heading north now toward Oosterhout in Brabant, Netherlands to visit my cousin, I would have cycled across the whole north part of Belgium towards Antwerpen and the very south  of Zeeland but since my 90 days will soon be up. I want to make sure that I go north first to visit my cousin Hans. Anyway, I need to save some good bicycling for when I return in other years, Lord-willing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi , This is beautiful . Thanks for sharing this . beautiful pictures . europe tour package

    ReplyDelete