Wednesday, September 24, 2014

228. Europe Bicycle Trip--Walnut Oil By Cecile

After 65 km. I came to Hoogerheide, my destination for tonight.

I had a late lunch on a bench by a little park along the downtown street.
I went by the church and then I found myself on a street where bicycles are not allowed so I landed up walking on the grass by the side. Then when I finally found the correct neighborhood, it took me a while to locate the address. The entrance to the house was only from a back lane.

There was a little covered building and the outer wall was unique as it was formed by pine cones.
The pine cones are held in by mesh--a good idea.
I met Cecile who is 62 years old and formerly  was a physiotherapist. She has 2 sons.She welcomed me and helped me bring in my belongings and showed me her house starting in the kitchen.
Dining table and piano

Bookcase
Living room
My bedroom-we pulled out the couch later
There was a shelf of many wind instruments in my bedroom.
A nice outside eating area where we had a cup of tea.
Cecile has a very beautiful back garden.
A bench of cones that she collects in her neighborhood.
When I came into the house,  I noticed this huge bag of walnuts.
Cecile's new occupation is making  walnut oil.
She put some oil and walnuts in a bowl for me to try with some bread, goat cheese and mint.
Cecile picks the walnuts locally and presses the walnuts in another location and then bottles the oil. She sells over 5000 bottles every year.
Cecile in her garden.
Cecile, one of my new friends through Friends of the Bicycle Organization. I have met so many talented individuals by using this method of lodging.

















No comments:

Post a Comment