Monday, September 22, 2014

224. Europe Bicycle Trip--Breda

About 15 km. south of Oosterhout, I came to the city of Breda, North Brabant. The name Breda, derived from brede Aa refers to the confluence of the rivers Mark and Aa. The city has a population of 180,420 but the area has a population of 324,812. In the 11th century, Breda was a direct fief of the Holy Roman Empire. The city gained its municipal charter in 1252. It sold several times . In 1403Johanna of Polanen married Englebert I of Nassau and from that time until 1795 it was in the possession of the house of Nassau. In 1795 it was passed to William I of Orange, stadholder of Holland, Zeeland and Utrecht. In WWII, Breda was under German occupation and was liberated by the 1st Polish Armored Division.
Apartment buildings on the outskirts of the city



A peace dove

Orange canal

Old building on street corner

Stedelijk Gymnasium of Breda

Part of an old castle and castle wall




These old buildings have shops on the main floors and living quarters higher up.

View going over the canal bridge

This old building is from 1889. In close up, I see the girl on the bicycle is checking her hand phone! She better watch out!

I had to head down this street. There is lots of room from the buildings on one side and the buildings on the other side.

This car definitely caught my attention!

I was happy to have my GPS for getting through this city.

This bicycle has lots of storage or passenger room.

This one looks like it has a bathtub in the front.

They were both parked in front of this bicycle store.

The translation is "The Biggest Orange (Shelter,Screen,Curtain or Awning) of Breda

The first bowling ally that I have seen
The biggest bowling pin that I have ever seen!

1 comment:

  1. They can carry their children in those baskets on the bikes as well as groceries and stuff. I imagine that some people don't bother getting cars in Holland.

    ReplyDelete