Sunday, September 14, 2014

211. Europe Bicycle Trip--Mierlo, Neunen (Van Gogh Village) and The Wilhelminakanaal

I stopped and had a snack in a nice wooded area. After I started, I came across Paul who was out for a ride. We discussed two ways that we were able to go and I cycled with him for a short while before we split off in different directions near Mierlo.
Paul
Crossing over a small still water canal
I rounded a corner and came toa road that had several thatched roof houses which were very quaint looking.
This old place  is almost hidden by the vines, trees and bushes.
The good bye sign for this village of Mierlo in North Brabant province.
Neune was the next ton that I came to. It is also called Van Gogh Village because from 1883-1885, Vincent van Gogh lived and worked in Neunen.  The local dialect is called Peellands.
Good form !
"Onze straat...is ORANJE!!"--Our street is Orange!!
A stone wall
Bicycle map with knooppunten--I am at 72
I came to a nice long stretch of cycling along the Wilhelminakanaal.
The Wilhelmina Canal runs from Amer at Geertruidenberg to the South Willemsvaart between Beek en Donk and Aarle-Rixtel and is 68 kilometers long. On average the canal is 2.3 meters deep and 25-30 meters wide.
I had a little break for my lunch before I started cycling along the canal. There was an old plaque with a poem . Rustpunt  Resting Place--Sit still for a bit and close your eyes for about half an hour, Listen with open ears to the sounds of nature, Stay still for a bit and let it fill you, so that you are relaxed and can go on with your dreams. I am open to any corrections of my translation. I did have a nice, peaceful rest stop here and was ready to go on with my dream ride again.
The bicycle path beside the canal
Van Hout Carving---carvings from wood or carvings done by Van Hout??  I was nice to see Canada's national animal--the beaver.
An owl watching me go by

1 comment:

  1. Hoe scenic!! I would love to cycle there, but I don't think that I could keep up with you!!

    ReplyDelete