Tuesday, September 2, 2014

195. Europe Bicycle Trip--A Church Fair

Today is my last full day with the Kaulen family who have been so good to me, not only before my Rhine trip but also now after I completed it. It is Sunday, June 22 and day 67 of my 90 day trip. Every day I do my own Bible reading from the Book of Psalms and also pray for all those on my prayer list and this morning was no exception.
After breakfast, I said my final goodbye to Nils. He has graduated and his gift is a two day visit to Amsterdam with Katrin, Petra's daughter. They have been together in school since kindergarten. Then later this summer, Nils is also going on a one month trip through Europe with 4 of his graduating friends. I told him that I would remember him in my prayers. I spent the rest of the morning working on maps and plans for my bicycle ride back to Limburg, Netherlands tomorrow.
At 12 o,clock, Rainer, Maren and I went by bicycle to their church for a church fair. I rode Maren's bicycle so I wouldn't have to worry about Silver and Maren rode Silja's bicycle since she is still away camping. The first area we came to was the games area. This one incorporated a bicycle rim and red, white and blue colors.
This game required reaching down to the bucket and filling the squirt gun and then squirting the ping pong ball toward the opposite goal.
In this game the wooden discs had to be directed into the slots at the other end of the board. (just like the Dutch sjoelbak)
Then we sat at one of the long tables and had lunch. Norbert bought me a sausage and salad and later a dessert. He has kept me well fed at all the functions I have attended. Thank you, Norbert.
Norbert left for home after the lunch and I said my final goodbyes to him. I really have enjoyed meeting Norbert and Ulla. They are a lovely couple.
Ulla stayed on to visit with her friends.
This is Sibylle or Ille for short. She is Petra's mother and Katrin's grandmother.
Anje, Mary Ann and Waltraud who is Ulla's neighbor
At 3:30 we went into the church and listened to the children's choir presentation of Jonah and The Whale. It was very well done with real musical instrument accompaniment. Maren's friend was the choir director  (in orange at right front) and I congratulated her on her work with the children.
The choir and director
We cycled over to Ulla's place. She presented me with a CD by Jasmine Pauen, Maren's friend who sang outside during the  lunch. Then we gave a final hug goodbye. If I ever go back to Germany, I will have to look up Ulla and play a game of tennis with her and talk about history (in English) with Norbert.
We bicycled home and I must admit that it is extremely difficult to bicycle in a skirt which I have never done before.
Lukas was very busy working on his art project--Mona Lisa as a Lego person.
It was coming along nicely.
I spent the evening working on blogs and skyping Dave and Caroline . I even tried to do it on Silja's laptop when my reception wasn't so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment