Wednesday, September 10, 2014

204. Europe Bicycle Trip--Crossing the Maas Into Belgium

Day 72, Friday, June 27th. Today is my oldest daughter, Caroline's wedding anniversary. She and her husband, Andy live in Wisconsin with their children, Amy and David. Today, I am on the move again on Silver. My eventual destination is a Friend of the Bicycle address in Nederweert, Netherlands but the first part of my route will take me through a section of Belgium.
I woke up at 5:30 and did my Bible reading and prayers and then started to pack and bring my bags down to Silver. I woke up Eric and he came out to walk Storm. Eric has today off work. Silver and I went with them up to the woods and then said a final goodbye and headed off in the other direction. I used the GPS to retrace my way out of Stein and back north to Urmond where I first crossed the Juliana Canal. Then I cycled farther to Berg Aan de Maas . At Berg Meeswijk, the Maas narrows and there is a ferry across to Belgium..
The Maas River
There was no charge on this ferry for Silver and I
Approaching the other side of the Maas
Sign in Belgium for the ferry
Belgie (Belgium) speed limits
"Welcome to the Bicycling Paradise of Limburg, Belgium. The blue sign shows the Knooppunts to follow depending on which direction  you were cycling. The knooppunt system originated in Belgium. The signage as excellent the whole time that I was there.
I was at Meeswijk near the town of Maasmechelen in the province of Limburg in Flanders , the Dutch speaking northern part of Belgium.
There was a war memorial here.
On May 10, 1940 before the dawning of the day, these 5 soldiers in their early 30s were killed.
De Kempen en Maaslnd is a natural region consisting mainly of extensive moors, tracts of sandy heath, and wetlands. It is a popular destination for tourists in search of a quiet and relaxing weekend. Old farms have been transformed into bed and breakfast places and restaurants and cafes are busy. An extensive cycling network has been developed over the last few years.
From right to left, this diagram shows the Julianacanal, the Maas River, Side branches of water, a high dike in the middle,  the towns and roads to the left of the dike and the Kempen plateau at the far left. The water levels vary greatly in this "Riverpark Maas Vallei" from winter levels to summer levels.
The small towns in the Maas Vallei
I headed off toward Stokkem on this nicely marked bicycle path at the side of the quiet road.
The scenery was exceptionally beautiful.
Lots of wetland
Negenoord body of water
This was the scene from the patio of a restaurant that was still closed.
Selfie
Later, an excellent, empty bicycle path greeted me on the dike.
It was a gorgeous day for photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment