Monday, September 29, 2014

232. Europe Bicycle Trip--Oosterschelde Storm Surge Barrier



Today is July 4th, 2014. It is the 5th birthday of my twin granddaughters, Katcce and Isabelle. Happy Birthday, girls!!!!! Today is also Day79 of my trip. I am headed north from Walcheren and Zuid Beveland where I am to Noord Beveland and then across the Oosterchelde Storm Dam to Schouwen-Duiveland and then over another bridge dam to South Holland and eventually the city of  Brielle.

Lenny, in Middleburg made me a very nice filling breakfast and I left at 8:30. It was to be a hot day according to the weather man but the wind was supposed to come from the south which would be to my advantage.


A windmill inMiddleburg

This shed door has a church painted on the door.

Another windmill in the countryside


A cultural monument


Part of an old circular fortress


Glimpse of the North Sea


The dam is in view in the distance


Jacobahhaven


Beach houses along the sea


Getting closer...


...and closer


The bicycle path


A few homes close to the dam but much lower down



A walkway down to the beach

Leaving Noord Beveland to go over the dam to Schouven-Duiveland


The main road is on the right of the barrier. The bicycle path and work vehicle traffic is on the left of the barrier.


The mechanics of the Oosterschelde Dam


Looking back at all the dam works


Selfie


I was SO HAPPY to have warm weather and the wind on my BACK today.


Sign explaining the Oosterschelde flood barrier


This barrier was built after the great flood of 1953. It has held back all storms since then.


Much bird life



In 1978 when I was last in the Netherlands, ,my uncle and aunt took Dave and I here to the Delta Works for a tour


Panorama of Oosterschelde Dam Bridge


More openings to the beach


























1 comment:

  1. Another beautiful day!! The beach looks so inviting! It would have been hard to drag me away from there. Our family missed that flood by 2 years, thank goodness!!

    ReplyDelete