Saturday, September 13, 2014

210. Europe Bicycle Trip--Goodbye Tjeu and Mia, Pavement Followed By Dirt and Staatsbosbeheer

Today is Day 73, Saturday, June 28. In Stein when I made my travel plan for the next few days, I knew that I wanted to reach Oosterhout where my cousin Hans lives on Sunday. So I took the distance from Stein to Oosterhout and divided it by 3 to reach my destination on time. The first segment was 57 km yesterday from Stein to Nederweert. Today I would bicycle 68 km from Nederweert to Oirshot. Then on Sunday, I would cycle 51km to Oosterhout stopping in Tilburg on the way to visit Jacque's Aunt Mien who is a nun.
Mia showed me this morning the nice wedding invitation for her daughter Rianne for August 20th, 2015.
Mia had a nice ham and egg breakfast for me and she also suggested that I make a sandwich for my lunch.
Then we had the camera take some photos. At first I tried it with the camera on the kitchen counter but that made a photo that was too shiny so we moved outside and set the camera on the patio table for better results.
I had a wonderful time at the home of Tjeu and Mia. Thank you so very much! I could see that they would have been excellent hosts of their five exchange students. They made me feel at home from the very start. It is amazing how close you can become after only one evening together. I have been so very pleased with my Friends of the Bicycle hosts
I really like how they celebrate and announce the birth of babies in the Netherlands.
"veemesterij" --Stock rearing farm of WM. van der Heijden
Ditch Ducks
Chicken farm of family Knoops--the public is welcome to observe but I was too early!
Chicken farm
Dutch football (soccer) fever
The outskirts of Someren
There is a great big section of "green area" om the map in this area.
A big swamp
A horse and buggy came by in the countryside . It was so nice to have a paved bicycle path here.
Pavement for me through the bush!
SWEET riding here--quiet, alone, smooth, beautiful
I had to cross a main road and then head into more bush land BUT there was no pavement here, just a lot of sand. This area looked like it had been strip logged.
Riding was tough here--I was praying that the bicycle wouldn't have any problems.
Finally I came to a sign in the middle of nowhere. Silver in Staatsbosbeheer
Staatsbosbeheer, founded in 1899, is a Dutch government organization for Forestry and the management of nature reserves. It oversees 250,000 hectares of land in the Netherlands. Forests make up 900 square kilometers of the total land under supervision. The remaining land consists of varying landscapes such as dunes, polders and wetlands. Usually this land is open to the public for recreational purposes.
Heather
Panorama view of the whole area of heather. Most people don't realize that the Netherlands has areas like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment