Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wisconsin Bicycle Trip, Day 15, Sunday July 28,2013

Day 15, Sunday, July 28,2013

52 kms in 3hrs 10 min. Wisconsin Dells to County Rd. Z| a few miles before Hwy 21 at Bob Daniels

I stayed in the motel and did two journals on Microsoft Word Processor. I left at 9 am. It was still cool and I had to put on all my rain gear to go through drizzle. Highway 13 leaving here is like heaven compared to HWY 16 yesterday. Now there is brand new pavement and a nice edge. I stopped at a railing to stretch. Later \I stopped at an outdoor flea market to ask about Hwy 13 and County Rd. Z. I always say Z and everyone corrects me to say Z. She suggested Z. At Hwy 13 and Hwy 82 , I had to decide so I asked in the gas station and they suggested Z also. Away I went. At the corner of Z and 82 was a bridge over the river so I took some photos and was happy to see the Wisconsin River again. Last night , I wrote down all the camping places along 13 and Z and I didn't want too long a day so I thought I could get to Adam’s if not a little more. Hwy z has no shoulder here but all the traffic was on the other side going south so I enjoyed it. I still felt good at Adam’s County Park on Castle Rock Lake so I had a snack there and decided to go on to look for Dell Aire Marina and Campground but even though I went down a side road once, I never did find it and started thinking about either stealth camping (but I didn’t have enough water) or making it to Hwy 21 and veering right toward Hwy 13 to a State Park. I pulled in one driveway but the man just left, then I saw a For Sale house that looked empty and thought about the back yard AND THEN NEXT DOOR, I SAW Wally working in the front yard. I pulled in. He is a friend and guest from Chicago but he got Bob outside and I told Bob I was going to camp but needed water and he invited me to camp in his back yard where the there was a grasy area and a picnic table. Perfect for me! I accepted and set up my tent. Bobis from Chicago where he used to work as a carpenter overseer for Jewish people. It was a very lucrative job but he has been through 2 marriages and has raised his 3 daughters and is just looking for a peaceful life. He got this property in a trade for a vehicle he had. . It is about 3 acres and used to have a 16 by 20 hunting building and he has expanded and insulated and really fixed it up. It is very nive and he has done a lot of cleaning up shrubbery and trees in the yard. He is a spiritualist (grew up Catholic in abusive situations from church and parents) and we had a few conversations about my beliefs. He is very well read and loves music. He has over 1000 feet of record albums and on one wall has a collection of Rolling Stones albums He doesn’t drink or smoke and doesn’t dabble much in politics. He has long hair tied back and reddish in colour. He is still friendly with his former wives and families. His first wife had a drug problem. He does some work for the Polish people that live around here. His place is very neat and clean  and plain. He has no computer but does have a big TV screen. He really likes statistics.He  has had one other bicyclist and 2 cars in the last 5 years asking to camp here. Wally is his life long friend. They grew up together and he brings Bob plants from his gardening job in Ch





















icago. He comes up for some weekends and stays in the trailer that Bob originally stayed in. I borrowed a county book from here to check my route for the next couple of days. I had no phone service here. I went to bed when the mosquitoes came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment