Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 6, Friday, july 19, 2013

River Falls to Maiden Rock  started at 1:30 and rode 52 km in 2 hr. 38 min  Total so far 423km

John brought me to River Falls and dropped me off at a cafe near the bike store. I am sorry but I have no photos of them although I asked. I had a big egg breakfast because the Crank Worx bike Store didn't open until 10. Isaac Curtis , a young man is the owner and he only had a rim that had less than 36 spokes and I remembered from a former trip having changed my rims to have more spokes. I could wait for the same rims to be ordered by Tuesday or he could send a friend to Hudson where the store there had a 36 spoke rim but not double walled . That was my best option so I said yes. His dad came in and as soon as he saw my card , he said that they were Christians also. I told him that I've been doing lots of praying and counting on the Lord to have me meet the right people. Steve has also done a bicycle trip on a tandem with his wife in 2009 from Washington to here. He has also kayaked the whole length of the Mississippi and has written a book which he later gave to me. I sent it with a bunch of my warm weather clothes to Caroline's house. It was a good visit and not too expensive. We took photos and at 1:30 I was on the way. They showed me a lovely route out of town and I really enjoyed the ride today. It was cooler , the wind was finally on my back and the Lord was being good to allow me to continue. I thought I would be stuck for several days. I met Terry Hall on a trike going along the highway picking up garbage. He is on disability and has been doing this for over 20 years. I stopped at Maiden Rock although I had wanted to go farther.There was a little park by the train tracks and by Lake Pepin. There was NO water available there but cost 10 dollars----now I know why. I set up in the shade and later got water at a bar across the street. Everything seemed fine except for the trains that whistled and made a racket about 3 times an hour all day and night. Well that was nothing compared to the young folks that set up about 15 feet close to me and 2 other setups. The park has a 11 pm quiet time but no hosts and the racket from them went on until well past 2 am even though they were spoken to several times. Cars roared around, loud voices, fire works ----it was terrible---NO SLEEP for me---a bundle of nerves--although at 2 am I yelled out"It's 2 am--shut up!"  and then felt terrible for losing my cool.













No comments:

Post a Comment