Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wisconsin Bike Trip Day 11, July 24,2013

Day 11  Wednesday, July 24, 2013  Prairie Du Chien to Wyalusing State Park  20 km in 1and 1/2 hrs.

I enjoyed my stay at the Delta Motel in Prairie Du Chien. I can't say enough about all the help from Wendy and Bill concerning computer reception, directions, and Wendy even did a load of laundry for me. I would recommend this smaller well priced motel which is set back from the road so it is quiet.
I have decided since the weather is supposed to be nice for 2 days , to go to Wyalusing State Park so I can photograph the Wisconsin River emptying into the Mississippi River. I had to go East to Bridgeport and then back west to the park. I had to climb the biggest "mountain hill" so far and it took over half an hour. Good thing it was first thing in the morning.Low gear was good! At the paying station, the girl was busy forever with some guys so I took photos of the Prairie flower garden and the many humming birds coming to feeders. I have never seen so many at a time.I had to choose a site from a binder and take a chance that the peolpe on it would be gone well before their 3pm check out time. Luckily spot 154 was vacant already so I set up. Two sites from me were 2 brothers who had cycled from Milwaukee. The view was spectacular as we were on a bluff overlooking two branches of the Wisconsin River flowing into the Mississippi River. Immediately ,  I    made friends wih Vernie, next to me who was leaving but had a lovely mallet in her hand. We were supposed to set up on the pad but luckily I had a tiny patch of grass behind it and used her mallet to drive my stakes in there.
Vernie is a 64 year old preschool teacher and does a lot of camping. Last night she was alone and has all the amenities like fans, bamboo pads , insect repellent thingy attached to shirt and everything.
I went for a hike down the Sentenil Trail and took photos at Council Point, Signal Point, Treasure Cave, Point Lookout, Passenger Pigeon Monument, and Indian Mounds. Then I had lunch (always a peanut butter sandwich) followed by a nap. After my nap, I did the trail on the other side of the campground and ran into John, a bus driver , who had brought 110 middle school students (2 bus
The evening actually got cool and I put on long pants for the first time on this trip. I watched the sunset and then headed for bed.



























es and a Ryder truck) here to camp as part of a 2 day trip. We bushwacked up a giant hill to the group site taking breaks because he has a pacemaker. I had to  be careful because I only have Crocs as walking shoes (because they are light). I had already slipped on some loose rocks earlier and scraped my knee. After that I did the Cave trail but was not impressed by the first little cave. I have seen better at Pictured Rocks in Munising. The evening got cool and I put on long pants for the first time and went to the overlook to watch the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment