Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wisconsin Bicycle Trip, Day 13, Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 13, Friday, July26, 2013

Muscoda to Prairie du Sac 73 ½ km in 4 hrs

Rob, the wet kayaker from last night came over and chatted with me while I packed Silver. He talked about taking scouts canoeing, bicycling and hiking trips. Both of their sons were involved and that is how he  and Ken got involved. He is very good at finding good deals on camping equipment.  I told the about Dave’s twin uncles , Geoff and Red and their scout involvement. I was off at 7:22 It was a lovely day for bicycling Hwy 60 east. It was overcast and a little cooler. I had arm warmers on for most of the day. The people I talk to say some rain may come later. I took lots of photos--mailboxes, cowboy stuff, farms, cows and lots of the river. Every time I bicycle near certain areas, the little birds circle over my head making noises to ward me away from their homes. I passed Gotham and they did have a town park with a canopy. My snack was at Carl’s  Paddlin’ store which was closed. A beautiful place that all my grand children would like is Peck’s Playland and animal Park  and corn and vegetable sale place. Sometimes the road went inland but it was basically flat and there was hardly any wind. I was making good timeI want to make Merrimac if possible. The corn is very high everywhere . I had lunch in the front yard of a house on a bluff. When I came to Sauk City, there was road construction ahead so the ladies in a restaurant helped direct me towards Prairie du Sac. From them I got 2 phone numbers for campgrounds. I called ahead to the one in Merrimac but it was full so I decided to find the one in Prairie du Sac. Which has a sign for the best water in the USA. I could go up busy HWY 12 to Devil’s Lake State Park but it is Friday afternoon and busy on the roads so that also helped my decision. And the sky wasn’t looking good either. I found the Veteran’s Memorial Park and Campground and it was alovely place on the Wisconsin River. I asked permission to set up under a big canopy and they said yes. I spent the day watching many canoes take off with vacati











































oning folks headed down the river to Spring Green where their shuttles waited. It did rain and some joined me under my shelter. I talked to Clint and Karl and later to Aaron. I gave them all my card.A strange evening with sun, then wind, then rain and then cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment