Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 9,Monday, July 22,2013

LaCrosse to BlackHawk Campground--starting peddling at 1:30 doing 52km in3 hrs. 24min.

The weather didn't look good for today so I decided to treat myself to a Mississippi Cruise Tour and then if the weather was bad when it was done I would look for a place going out of the city. I also would do the tour if my bicycle was in a safe place. I arrived early and the lady in the info and museum area allowed me to park Silver in a garage. While waiting, I met Whitt ,86, and his recumbent and Gary, 65, who has lived in his car for the last 2 years. I also was impressed with their international garden. It's the 3rd week of July and that is always peak time for perennials. On the boat, the LaCrosse Queen, a paddle wheel boat, I met Phil and Elaine from California. He was my photographer. John, our guide was excellent and I learned a lot about the river, the barges, the bridges, the islands, the turtles and the fish. We went through a swinging bridge. I have about 10 pages of notes.
    After the tour, the weather was still good so I headed down the highway thinking I would only get to Stoddard but I passed Genoa and even thogh it was86 degrees, I pushed on to the US Army Corps of Engineers campground called Blackhawk Campground. No one was in the office so I finally found non electrical camping. As the sky was darkening, I  set up and started supper. The Ranger came by and I paid the 18 dollars and he warned of severe storms coming. There was no water close, so Linda and Tim who were catching many fish, gave me 2 bottles. Between rain spells , we talked and the big BAD storm went by farther away. I was so thankful to the Lord for saving the rain until I was set up and providing me wit water and neighbours.


























No comments:

Post a Comment