Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 5,Thursday,July 18,2013

Osceola to John Crumley's house   77km in 5hr. 14 min. Total so far 366km.
I crossed the St. Croix River into Minnesota and followed I 95 but was disappointed to not see much of the river so at Stillwater, I crossed back into Wisconsin. There was a huge hill going up from the river but I had to cross on a side walk and couldn't get back onto the road when it turned into a little ,gravelly dirt path so I had to muscle Silver up the hill. It was very hot today so when I got to Hudson, I had a swim in the St. Croix \river at lunch even though it was quite green with algae near shore. It was a roped off beach area with lifeguards as the water got deep fast.Then I had to decide to go straight to Kinneckinnic State \park or to River Falls. Several people said the park was nice so I  headed there BUT when I arrived I found out there was no camping-----????? When I headed away to find a farm or something, my back brake was sticking. I checked the brake, the spokes and then found a crak in the rim. OH NO. There were only 2 houses there and I waited at the one that had the garage door open. I knocked, called out and --nothing. Si I sat and waited with the 2 dogs that had barked a lot at me. After about 1and 1/2 hr a young girl came out. She hadn't heard anything due to music and air conditioning. Katie was home alone. Dad was at shooting and step mom was visiting a neighbour. She called both and I was allowed to camp by some evergreens at the side of the big yard. We talked a bit and she brought me a freezie because it was very hot. Katie is dealing with the suicide death of her mother (divorced from dad) 2 days after Christmas in her presence by jumping off the Hudson bridge down to the ice. She is only 12 and a very nice girl and very open to me. Later, dad, John came home and we talked a lot. He is his own boss of 3 or 4 businesses in Minneapolis-St. Paul and commutes about 30 min. He is a very avid fisherman and also built his own house. He would take me to River Falls in the truck in the morning. During the night there was thunder and lightning but no rain.











No comments:

Post a Comment